Saturday, January 31, 2009

Forcing Bulbs

.
I potted some bulbs in November. Watered and stored them in a box in the garage. My biggest concern was about water. Too much might rot the bulbs. But nothing rotted so I guess I did OK. I brought them into the house and put them in a sunny window on January 13.

Narcissus Grand Soleil d’Or is labeled as “Indoor Narcissus.” The package suggests, “Spread some pebbles or marbles over the (potting) mix for a nice appearance and to prevent the Narcissus from falling over when in full bloom.” I haven’t done that (yet). The growth actually started within a few days.

The hyacinth was labeled “Pink”. I used the same method as the narcissus. You can just see the bloom in the center of the leaves in the picture.

It was a simple project and fills some of my need to garden in these cold, snowy months. I’ll post a picture when they bloom.

.
(More information on forcing bulbs from Penn State Cooperative Extension - Berks County.)
.
.

2 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

Yee haw! Forcing bulbs is an exciting project that I learnt recently. Even my crocuses are showing up! Yipee!

Marie said...

CS
It is very exciting to watch the bulbs develop - Specially since it's snowing outside.