Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Surprising Anthurium


Anthurium andraeanum (Tailflower, Flamingo-Flower)
.
Here’s a house plant that came into my life as a gift in 2008. It arrived with large dark green leaves, bright red waxy flowers and not much hope for the future.

Having only seen anthurium in florists shops, I had no idea how to take care of it. I did a quick internet search. “The red, heart-shaped flower of Anthurium is really a spathe, or waxy, modified leaf flaring out from the base of a fleshy spike (spadix) where the tiny real flowers grow.” Huh?

I noted some general care information.

- low light (I placed it near the French doors to get morning sun.)
- moderately drought tolerant (a good thing in a heated house.)
- flowers last up to six weeks (I didn’t hold much hope of ever getting it to bloom again.)
- continuous flowering (see above.)

After that, I didn’t pay much attention to the plant. In the back of my mind a little voice was saying, “It probably won’t live.” It got watered as I passed by and fed with the other plants. It hasn’t moved in three years.



And, It blooms regularly despite me - A very pleasant surprise.

(Quote above from “The Flower Expert".)
.

2 comments:

donna said...

I'd like to get more into houseplants and would luv to have a plant with beautiful flowers like this Flamingo Flower....I almost typed Cardinal Flower.

When it comes to houseplants, I have that "cat" problem. Do you have a cat?

donna

Marie said...

Donna,
Unfortunatly for me, but fortunately for my houseplants, I don't have a cat.