Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bethlehem Rose Garden

.
This week was a perfect time to visit the Bethlehem Rose Garden. Roses are in full bloom. Rows of color fill the park.




The varieties aren’t marked. This spectacular color caught my eye.




A pretty combination.


Exquisite white.


As I walked through, I stopped at the war memorials around the garden.




With Memorial Day a few days away, I thought of the poem we learned in elementary school.

In Flanders Fields
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below…
.
Have a wonderful Memorial day and THANK YOU to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces.
.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Is this the park between West Unions and West Broad, right off 378? It looks so pretty, I'd love to see it in person!

Marie said...

That's it Courtney. The park is between 8th and 9 Avenue (and between Union Blvd. & Broad St. as you said) across from Nitschman Middle School. There is usually space to park on Ninth Avenue. You should stop. The roses are great right now.

donna said...

Marie, I enjoyed the poem and appreciate your mention of the U.S. Armed Forces.

The rose in the 3rd photo certainly does have a spectacular color. Gorgeous.

donna

Marie said...

The roses were great. The last few years I've missed the first blush at the rose garden. Last year I put it on my calendar for the end of May. I'm glad I did. It was worth a couple of visits.

Courtney said...

I hope I'm not TOO late! I'll be over that way this weekend!

Marie said...

Courtney, I haven't been back this week but I still see a lot of color as I drive by. The current heat and humidity may wilt both flowers and spectators. LOL