Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day – April 2009


.
I’ve been posting pictures of flowers blooming in my garden lately. Here’s one that I haven’t posted.

Daphnie x burkwoodii ‘Carol Mackie’

I ordered the shrub from Bluestone Perennials. It arrived in a 4-inch pot holding the promise of heavenly scent. There was a slight aroma from the few blooms. (Do all gardeners go batty over the arrival of a new plant?)
.
I saw, or should I say smelled, one in a friend's garden last spring. According to Bluestone’s plant description, “Garland flowers are prized for their early spring bloom of exquisitely fragrant palest pink flowers in profusion.” It was an immediate addition to my “must have list”.

I did internet searches and found that this shrub sometimes succumbs to Sudden Daphne Death Syndrome. It also requires well drained soil. It may become infested with aphids, mealybugs, scale or fungal disease.

I bought it anyway. I can’t wait to plant it in the scented garden. The aroma is enough to make me try it more than once.

.
GBBD thanks to Carol at May Dreams Garden. Have a look at what is happening in other gardens around the country and around the world.
.

8 comments:

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

May your Daphnie Burkwood ‘Carol Mackie’ be blessed! May it NEVER become infested with aphids, mealybugs, scale or fungal disease.

Marie said...

MG,
Thank you for your well wishes!

Frances said...

Hi Marie, your new baby Daphne is precious. I have D. odora, similar to Carol Mackie and it has not had those insect or disease problems after five years, knock on wood! It does like extra water in our drought ridden summers here in TN. Healthy plants fight off attacks much better than sickly ones. Happy bloom day!
Frances at Fairegarden

Gail said...

I fell for a Daphne, too. It's still in the nursery pot and I think it will not make it here! But while it bloomed the smell was luscious! Gardening sometimes has elements of gambling! happy GBBD! gail

sweetbay said...

Ooo, I didn't realize that Bluestone sold Carol Mackie. That's supposed to be one of the toughest, for the Middle South anyway. From what I've read they absolutely must have good drainage.

Marie said...

Frances,
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on the water.

Gail,
Gardeners are always pushing the envelope, aren't we. According to Bluestone, Daphne grow from zones 5 to 8. Should be OK in Middle Tennessee zone 7 I guess. (See Frances' comment.) Good luck.

Sweet Bay,
According to Bluestone: they are "tricky to propogate" and "can only offer this garden beauty occasionally."

donna said...

May your 'Carol Mackie' never, ever succumb to the dreaded Sudden Daphne Death Syndrome. Interesting post. I learn something from every blog I visit.

Marie said...

Thanks Donna,
It is really great to read through all the blogs on bloom day. I, too, learn something at every click. It will take at least another day to visit them all. Many thanks to Carol!