Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Dreaming of Spring

.
OK. I’ve started lists for spring. I love making lists. I find great satisfaction in checking off items one by one. It also keeps me from trying to do everything at once, organizes priorities and helps me remember what I want to get done. So here are the lists I started for spring.

To move list:

- Pink azalea to new garden – I put this pretty azalea in a shaded area about 4 years ago. I meant to find a permanent place for it. This past spring it looked dead – broken branches looked gnawed. The other day I saw green growth peeking out from under the hosta leaves. I’ll put a wire fence around it this winter and move it to the new garden in spring.





- Blazing star (Liatris spp.) – another plant I stuck in the ground about 5 years ago until I could find a permanent place. I’ll move this lilac colored flowering plant next to the white liatris near the new Casablanca lilies.







To give away list:

- Red hot poker or torch lily (Kniphofia uvaria) – an extra plant that I don’t have room for. I’ve got a taker for this one. I love when that happens.










- Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) I’ve had a request for a piece of this ferny leafed herb so I’ll dig some out for my friend in spring.






- Perennial Forget-Me-Not (Brunnera macrophylla) - The mass of pretty blue flowers in spring is getting too crowded. They have spread and reseeded throughout the area. I don’t have a taker for them yet. I’ll have to find someone who wants Brunnera or they will become compost.


To divide list:

- Hosta - The hosta is overgrown. I’ll move some to the front of the new garden.

- Liriope (Liriope muscari) – As the hydrangea grows, it’s getting a little crowded. I like liriope’s winter color – deep green leaves with black berries. I’ll see what it looks like over the winter and decide if I will divide and spread it out at the edge of the garden or pot some up to give away – probably both. I’ll need to use my hatchet to divide this tough little clumping plant.

So there are the lists so far. I’m looking forward to another busy spring!
.

No comments: