Saturday, February 19, 2011

Adventures in Agriculture

Adventures in Agriculture in Palmer Mall is always fun. Last weekend was no exception. Antique toys and tools, spinning alpaca yarn, fly tying for fishing, animal hides, farm products and go green displays filled the mall with exciting exhibits.

Easton PA Farmers Market displayed colorful totes for sale and information about the market. Bath PA Farmers Market reminded everyone that fresh farm products will be available again this summer.

A motorized ground water flow model (RSVP sponsored) demonstrated how contamination from an oil tank, for instance, pollutes wells and streams miles away. The animated illustration slowly took the dye colored water underground until it met an impermeable layer then traveled horizontally toward wells and streams.


Master Gardeners with the “Green Gardening” theme had some timely tips on recycling, water barrels, soil quality, native and invasive plants, pesticides and compost. Free brochures were available to expand on all the topics.

The 4-H clubs were the stars of the show as far as I’m concerned. They enthusiastically shared stories of their adventures and work. There is a club to fill almost every interest.

A few of the clubs represented:

Wagging Tails 4-H Dog Club – teaches care and training of dogs
4-H Reptile and Amphibian Club – teaches the roll of these animals in nature along with ecological studies.
4-H Livestock, Beef, Dairy and Swine Clubs – teaches the importance and responsibility of raising goats, pigs, poultry, cattle, cows and sheep and the use of their by-products
Little Rascals 4-H Rabbit and Cavy Club – teaches the process of raising rabbits and guinea pigs.

I pledge my Head to clearer thinking, my Heart to greater loyalty, my Hands to larger service and my Health to better living, for my club, my community, my country, and my world.

4-H teaches responsibility and boosts self-esteem. And it looks like they just have fun.

I know I had fun with these and many more displays in the mall.
.

3 comments:

donna said...

I always luv seeing the 4-H kids with their animals and other exhibits at the county fairs and state fair, too. Thanks for the 4-H pledge. I'm ashamed to say that I think this is the first time I've seen it in writing.

The ground water flow model is interesting. I'm a visual learner as are a lot of people and this model makes it all seem more real.

Luv how involved you are in your community, Marie.

Marie said...

I belonged to a 4-H Horse and Pony Club as a kid. We had a great time and learned a lot so 4-H has a special place in my life.

The flow model is used a lot in schools. It's fascinating to watch.

I'm grateful that my community has so many worthwhile things to enjoy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Due to my husband having an Illness and Me starting a new business I have to dramaticly downsize my rabbits, I have Lionheads, Adult and Young. I saw you work with a 4-H Rabbit Club, thought somone there may be interested. Thanks, Michelle mhinerman611@comcast.net