As the vegetable gardening season starts to wind down, I stopped by a local community garden. I am interested in what goes right and wrong with in community gardens - the personal stories. Right now I have more questions than answers. I would like to share the answers with officials and other gardeners.
Here are a few of the questions:
· Was there adequate communication among gardeners?
· Were the rules understood and followed by all the gardeners?
· Did you have enough time to spend in the garden?
· Were you physically able to do the work required?
· Was water accessible? Mulch? Compost?
· Were tools available?
· What made your experience with community gardening a success or failure?
· Did you use a Master Gardener to educate gardeners on subjects such as: planting, plant choices, propagation, weed identification, fertilization, soils, compost, mulch, etc.?
If you have any experience with or opinion about community gardens or can answer any of the questions, please leave a comment. I will be very grateful for any information.
More information on Community Gardens from ACGA http://communitygarden.org/learn/ and SUN*LV http://sunlv.org/