Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Weeds. Since there hasn't been much rain, there aren't as many weeds - but the weeds do SURVIVE. The biggest problem in my garden is clover. The ground is dry so I have to use my favorite tool, a dandelion digger, all the time to get any roots. The little purplish clover are the worst. The roots go everywhere. Dandelion and the dreaded thistle sprout up here and there and will not come out without the digger. Crabgrass is a menace. It seems to appear overnight!

Every once in a while I get a fit and get the Ortho Brush-Be-Gone and spray. I try to be careful around the other plants but I managed to kill a scented geranium. It made me remember one of my favorite quotes, "I consider every plant healthy until I've killed it myself." Sir Peter Smithers, spy-turned-politician-turned-gardener.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that quote - "I consider every plant healthy until I've killed it myself"

As the caretaker of several parched cacti, I think that Sir Peter Smithers's words are words to live by.

Bryon Viechnicki

Viechnicki Orthodontics Bethlehem
122 E Broad St, Bethlehem, PA 18018
(610) 865-4333