Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Coral Bells


(A piece of ‘Purple Palace’ divided from original plant added alongside new ‘Tiramisu’ in 2008.)


The combination of Heuchera micrantha ‘Palace Purple’ and Heuchera villosa 'Tiramisu' PPAF caught my eye this week. They grow happily without much care. They spread slowly and are easy to divide in spring when needed.

Planted in partial shade, ‘Tiramisu’ has started flower spikes. The ‘Purple Palace’ leaf color is best in spring. It turns deep green with purple undersides as it blooms in July.



('Purple Palace' with Coreopsis and orange impatiens in July 2008.)
.


Kathryn Wadsworth, author with David Deardorff PhD of “What’s Wrong With My Plant (And How Do I Fix It?”), relates a Heuchera story well worth the read here.

More Heuchera growing information with a list of varieties at Dayton Nurseries.
.

3 comments:

donna said...

I didn't know that the common name for Heuchera was Alumroot. Kathryn's story was intersting and the photos were nice.

I didn't realize that 'Purple Palace" leaves turned deep green with purple undersides in July.

Yesterday I bought 'Key Lime Pie' and last year I planted 'Caramel'.
There are also some dark-leafed Heucheras in our yard, but the names are unknown to me. They've been around a long time.

donna

Marie said...

Donna,

The Heuchera varieties seem to be expanding every year. My daughter has 'Creme Brulee'. It's a very pretty bronze color that stands out in her border. I think it must be a lot like your caramel.

Your 'Key Lime Pie' sounds like it will sparkle in the shade. I may have to try that one!

pink and mint xo said...

Great post thhank you