Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Forget-Me-Not



Cynoglossum amabile, Chinese forget-me-not .

One day my husband asked, “What are those blue flowers?” “That’s forget-me-not,” I told him. “Oh," he said, "I forgot.” – a funny man.

My forget-me-not fits the description of Cynoglossum amabile. I got the seeds from a co-worker about 10 years ago but I didn't write it down. They have self-sowed and bloomed every year without any special care - one of the few blue flowers in my garden.

The prickly little seeds stick to socks, pets, jeans or any piece of cloth they come in contact with. I try to keep them back from the paths. In spring, I pull the plants that are near human traffic (although I don’t have the heart to pull them all).




It is almost inevitable that I’ll be picking seeds out of my shoelaces later this summer.

I’m willing to put up with the seeds for the brilliant blue flower.


Rob’s Plants from his Lehigh Valley Gardening blog has a good description and great photos.
.

4 comments:

Bernideen said...

Forget me Nots are lovely - delicate and special! Lovely blog!

Danielle Bedics-Arizala, The Magic Garden said...

I found your blog searching for Chinese Forget Me Nots. I grew up in Bethlehem, PA. I now reside in Pasadena, California. I love that I found your blog. I would love to see what I could be growing if I still lived in Bethlehem. My family still lives in Bethlehem, and my Mother and Father still have lovely peonies in their yard. I only wish I could grow them here in California.

Marie said...

Danielle, thanks for your comment. There is interesting information about Bethlehem (history and current) on Facebook "You know yore from Bethlehem..."

Marie said...

"You know you're from Bethlehem ..."