Sunday, April 08, 2007

Daffodils


I think you can never have too many daffodils. I have quite a few throughout my garden. I love the yellow drifts in spring. They are tall enough to be seen from the street and the deer don't like them.

I have some I want to move because I think they don't get enough sun to make them bloom. I also have some hyacinths with the same problem and I want to move them too.

I plan to try to disturb the roots, bulb and leaves as little as possible during the transplant. I will dig the transplant hole first & then try to get the biggest dirt clump with the bulb that I can. Hopefully, the less they are disturbed the more energy they will be able to store for a bloom next spring. It may take a few years to get a bloom but they aren't doing much where they are so, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

A little warmer weather would be helpful. We've had temperatures with wind chills in the 20's and 30's the last few days. The rest of the garden seems OK. So far, I haven't seen any damage to the plants and shrubs that are beginning to leaf out. Oh well, mother nature is one of the variables to deal with when gardening. She doesn't always co-operate.

I bought 4 large pots at Ollie's ("Good Stuff Cheap") for my container garden. The price and size were right. I try to stop a Ollie's periodically. Sometimes I find things I need and sometimes I come away empty handed.

No comments: