Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Coleus for Color



A variety of spectacular colors, shade or sun varieties, tall or short, spreading or upright, easy to propagate, easy to grow – that’s the mighty coleus. A friend turned me on to these wonderful annuals several years ago and I’ve been a fan ever since.

I planted about 70 cuttings in May and added few new ones. They are now coming into their full colorful glory – pink, yellow, white, green, orange, red. They brighten up dark spaces and provide color all summer. They look great grouped or standing alone - in pots or in the garden.

The bloom on the coleus is not spectacular so I pinch off the flowers as they appear. I fertilize the plants when/if I get around to it. I water when I can or if they begin to droop. Of course, the pots need to be watered daily. I’ll begin taking cuttings in August to start next year’s crop. I am definitely hooked and, some would say, a little out of control.

The infinite variety of coleus can be seen at http://coleusfinder.org/pictures.php?lang=en

No comments: