Saturday, January 24, 2009

Croton

.
I reduced my houseplants by 50% last year.
Don’t get me wrong, I still have plenty of house plants. But, I had too many plants and was running out of space and time to care for them. I decided to simplify my gardening life – not as many plants to water, feed, repot, carry in and out. So, I gave half of them away.

What have I been doing lately? You guessed it. I’m lusting after new house plants.

One of the beauties is Croton (Codiaeum variegatum).

Croton’s bright pink, red, yellow and green leathery foliage would cheer up any room. They are tough tropical plants. They need warmth, humidity and high light. The leaves are poisonous if eaten. They may sometimes be bothered by mealy bugs, spider mites or scale. More information from Virginia Cooperative Extension.

I’m not sure they are right for my house. But, wouldn’t it be fun to try?

I’ve managed to control myself so far. I haven’t bought a plant. Hopefully, spring will be early this year and the busy time will take my mind off buying house plants. I hope I can hold out that long.
.

2 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

Oh you can never control or reduce your gardening. Though your mind says no, your heart would yearn for it and your heart would win! Crotons are great, so to say and easy to grow! In India, Crotons' every non-gardeners' favorite.

Marie said...

CS,

Yes, it is hard to resist a new plant. I'll let you know if I give in to my heart and buy one.