Saturday, September 03, 2011

Coleus

The Coleus again are proving their worth.
. 
Unfortunately, I didn’t keep track of the varieties I have. You can see lots of varieties in the Rosy Dawn Gardens online catalogue. (Coleus blog from March 2008)
.
I do know the name of the one below which I bought from Rosy Dawn. It is Mariposa. Large leaved and beautifully colored, it is one of my favorites.
With the deep pink Crepe Myrtle, this one looks almost black.
.
.
In a pot they also stand out.

If I learned anything from my coleus it is this: always label plants when propagating. I’m sorry now that I don’t remember the variety names.
.
Coleus Finder searchable database.

September 10, 2008 blog "Confessions of a Coleac".

4 comments:

donna said...

I have not one single coleus in my garden this year. Shame on me! They really stand out this time of year. Your photos are great.

donna

Marie said...

Thanks Donna,

The Coleus do make a bold statement, don't they? And easier than growing pumpkins in a pot :-)

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Marie, your Coleus is beautiful. Needless to say, after this summer, any Coleus I did have is long gone, and I do miss it so. Nice to get my Coleus fix with your blog. I especially like the dark purple with the Crepe Myrtle. Reminds me of Purple Sweet Potato Vine...so Striking.

Marie said...

Thanks Jenny.

I wish I could share some of the days and days of rain we've been having. The Delaware, and Schuykill rivers, small streams and lots of low lying roads are awash. We are fine on our little hill but lots of people are not so lucky.

The dark purple is an amazing color - a nice backdrop for the crepe myrtle. I wish I could say that I planned it that way :).