Saturday, September 05, 2009

This week in the Garden


.
It’s been a good week in the garden.
.


The Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis paniculata ‘Sweet Autumn’) is in full bloom. Sparkly little white flowers cover the lush green growth. There is a trellis under that vine. I’ve had to tie it up several times this year. The growth tends to go off in all directions.












.
I dug out some suckers from the Sweet Shrub (Calycanthus floridus). I need to do this in spring and fall to avoid growing a Sweet Shrub forest.







The bush could use a hair cut too.


.
I have the same sucker problem with the white lilac. I dug out some of those roots too this week.

I got a good start on a new garden to screen the air conditioner unit. More about that in a later post.

While working in the garden I noticed a welcome visitor on the coreopsis.


2 comments:

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Lovely Clematis. Are you harvesting babies from the Sweet Shrub and Lilac to put around your A/C unit as a screen? Nice spotting a praying mantis--hope he dines on all the bad bugs.

Marie said...

Hi MG,

I will probably use a few evergreens as a screen. Dealing with ONE clematis and ONE sweet shrub is enough for me!

That praying mantis made my day. I noticed it as I walked by. He/she waited for me while I ran in and got my camera. But, I haven't seen him since. I keep looking!