Saturday, April 02, 2011

Glory-of-the-Snow



Chionodoxa forbesii

This happy little flower always makes me smile. The blue stars seem to sparkle as the gardening season begins.

.

In 1999, I planted 30 Glory-of-the-Snow bulbs on top of some tulip bulbs.

.

The tulip bulbs were planted 6 to 8 inches deep. I filled the planting hole with soil up to 3 inches from the top, added the Glory-of-the-Snow bulbs then added the rest of the soil on top. Over the years, the tiny bulbs have multiplied. They also moved around the front garden with transplants and new plants.

.

After blooming, the leaves fade away and the bulb goes dormant for the summer – to burst into blue abundance next spring.

I wish I had a hundred more.

.

2 comments:

donna said...

There are Glory-of-the-Snow in my yard, too. I took pictures this morning. They've been in the ground for about 5 years and this is the first spring that they've magically appeared in other places. I can never quite capture the true color with my camera. They really do seem to sparkle in your photo.

donna

Marie said...

Donna,
It is hard to get a picture of their sparkling beauty. I got lucky this year!