Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Iris

.
Iris is a brief but stunning flower of spring.

Although there are re-blooming irises, the conditions for re-bloom seem to be dependant on weather, location, soil conditions and fertilizer. I don’t know anyone who has re-blooming iris. If you do, please let me know your experience and zone by commenting to this post.

All that I have read affirms that iris is one of the easiest perennials to grow. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1240.html
In my experience, it’s true. I cut off the spent bloom stalks when they finish blooming in spring. I cut the fans back to about 6 inches in late summer. Then I clean up all the yellowed or dried leaves. Some years I’ve put a light layer of mulch over them for the winter.

My iris grows in full sun, in a sheltered spot next to the garage on a very slight slope. I think I got lucky with the placement.

Our neighbors’ irises all are planted in full sun. Each spring it’s an amazing show of color.

Easy to follow directions for dividing iris are found in Better Homes and Gardens “How to Grow, Maintain, and Divide Bearded Iris.” http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/how-to-grow-maintain-and-divide-bearded-iris/?page=2

Personally, I’m just too lazy to divide mine. When they get crowded some of the rhizomes may rot. Usually they are full again in a year or two. I’m not sure that all varieties would put up with this kind of neglect.
.

No comments: