Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New York Botanical Garden

.
New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY - 250 acres of trees, gardens and every manner of plant and shrub. I can’t shake the image - green oasis in a concrete jungle - trite but true. http://www.nybg.org/

My view of the gardens:

Enid A. Haupt Conservatory – A Victorian-style greenhouse filled with plants from 11 distinct habitats. The rain forests’ gentle mist only rarely reached our skin. The flora is well marked and signs explain each environment. It was hard not to bump into people while looking open-mouthed at the overwhelming amount of plants. Moss covered rock walls and never-seen-before cacti stand out in my memory. It is a great place to linger as you try to take in the all the extraordinary plants. The outdoor water lily pond is full of koi and other fish. Tour guides are available. Our guide was a personable volunteer but not a knowledgeable plantsman.

Everett Children's Adventure Garden – This large area includes winding paths, mazes, clever topiaries, and delightful surprises. We followed a short winding path and found a wooden and glass display of seeds. Questions printed on the display were answered by opening wooden doors. I wonder what secrets are on the paths we didn’t follow. The colorful caterpillar topiaries surprised us in several areas.

Ruth Rea Howell Family Garden – An excellent flower and vegetable garden planted by children and adults grows in well-tended rows. In a children’s area, bright, colorful hand-painted signs with each child’s name demonstrated pride of ownership in the healthy tomatoes, lettuce, beans and corn.

Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden – Over 3000 roses arranged by color created a spectacular show. Hybrid teas, floribunda, antique roses, and shrub roses crafted into a profusion of color in a formal setting. Lots of oohs and ahs from me. It’s hard not to be impressed by the sheer number of roses.

In the Jane Watson Irwin Perennial Garden, there were many examples of plants that go well together. Plants for sun with complimentary colors. Shade plants with different textures and heights. It’s a good thing there wasn’t a plant sale nearby. My Visa would have been as tired as my feet.

The formal herb garden was not in the best shape when we visited but we got the idea. I missed the rock garden, but I heard it was spectacular with lots of small plants and evergreens.

250 acres requires a lot of walking and energy. A tram runs every 20 minutes but is sometimes full and not always on time.

It was an exhausting but fun day – hot in the sun, cool in the shade. I could have spent days there. I would love to sneak into the plant-science labs and greenhouses for a closer look.


.
(Photo credit. My camera died before I ever got to take a picture. Many thanks to my friend and fellow visitor, Gretchen, for the pictures here.)
.

3 comments:

<<<~~~Jeannie~~~>>> said...

Dearest Marie, wow! I would have loved to visit these gardens with you. I am sorry about your camera dying. BUMMER!!!!!

I actually have not been fine for the last two months, it's something I can't share online, but I know I will get over this. I miss blogging at my site - my pc is with a friend who's trying rebuilding it. Meanwhile, I get my 'fix' by watering my annuals and taking pictures of them.

Thank you for your friendship.

Jeannie

Marie said...

Jeannie,

Sorry that your are still not well. I know all your friends are praying for you.

Your son is beautiful. Thanks for the pictures on your blog. :-)

Marie said...

BTW my new camera is due to arrive on Tuesday. Hooray!