Saturday, October 04, 2008

Iris

.
Fall air chills - highs in the 60’s and lows in the 40’s - over 5 inches of rain last weekend. And it’s time to trim the iris.

I didn’t do much maintenance on the iris this summer. I usually try to keep the dead or dying leaves cleaned up. That didn’t happen this summer. So, it was really messy. I cut all the leaves back to 4 to 6 inches.

The yellow iris is in a sheltered spot on a very slight slope. I have never had a problem with winter heave. I use a very light layer of mulch and that seems to be enough.

Although iris should be divided every 4 years, I have never divided this iris. For some reason, it seems to do OK.

Amy Stewart at Garden Rant in October 2 post “Throw the Bums Out“ says, “The thing with irises is that you're supposed to divide them every four years, and one way to remember that is to divide them during presidential election seasons.”

That seems like a great way to remember to divide, if that’s your plan. The incessant political propaganda on TV should be enough to drive you outdoors.

More iris information from Penn State Solution Source
.

No comments: