Saturday, March 21, 2009

Herbs


.
This week I attended the Master Gardener talk “Herbs to Use and Grow”. The presentation was part of Penn State Extension’s “Spring Garden Series” in Lehigh and Northampton County.

The class was super. It included information for growing herbs in full sun, some shade or full shade. Easy to grow herbs and their uses as well as herbal tea, herbal vinegar and household cleaner recipes completed the talk.

A bonus tip:
I have always had trouble drying parsley. I think the temperature in my oven doesn’t stay low enough. The dried parsley ends up brownish and loses some of its flavor.
Here’s the tip. Spread the cut parsley leaves on a tray and put it in the trunk of your car. The heat is supposed to be a perfect drying oven for parsley. I don’t know how long it takes but I plan to give it a try.

The Master Gardener “Spring Garden Series” continues through April. Sessions are filling up fast in both Lehigh and Northampton Counties. If you’re interested, call the Lehigh County Extension office 610-391-9840. Future talks include: “Starting Your Vegetable Garden,” “Rain Gardens,” “Small Space Gardening.”


.
(The above picture has nothing to do with herbs. I have had these crocuses in my garden for many years. They are 5 or 6 inches tall with large purple flowers. They are the prettiest of all my crocuses. I don’t know the variety. If anyone has an idea what they might be, please let me know.)
.

No comments: