Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fall Colors

.
It was too early this week to see fall tree color at Delaware Water Gap in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I imagine it will take another two weeks to show the brilliant yellow, orange and red of a Pennsylvania autumn.

But there are lots of fall colors in my garden.

Mums in pots and in the ground.



.
The combination of ‘Super Elfin Bright Orange’ impatiens and coleus ‘Rustic Orange’ is difficult to photograph and get a true color. But here’s the general idea.



.
Marigolds





.
And cosmos.



.
Maximilian sunflower (Helianthus maximilianii) 4 to 5 feet tall.








.
In a few weeks the mountains will turn gold and scarlet. The crisp fall air is energizing – a wonderful time for gardening.
.

4 comments:

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Lovely Fall color in your garden, Marie. I look forward to seeing you post the changing seasons of the Pocono Mountains...I do miss the fall leaves of the Midwest at this time of year.

donna said...

Boy, would I ever luv to see the Pocono Mountains when the green turns to gold and scarlet. I also have 'Super Elfin' impatiens; Lipstick and White. I never thought of pairing the impatiens with coleus. Your orange combo looks great.

Marie said...

MG,
I agree there's nothing like the crisp fall air and lovely colors as the trees prepare for a winter's nap. I'll try to get some pictures of the colors as they turn.

Marie said...

Donna,
Thanks. The impatiens/coleus combo turned out well I think - A lot of bang for your buck in these little plants.