Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Japanese Anemone

.
One of my favorite recent additions to the garden, the Japanese Anemone (Anemone x hybrida) produces exquisite fall blooms. To me they are as delicate as an orchid, as statuesque as a daisy and as carefree as a cone flower.

The flowers are almost 3 inches in diameter. The plant is about 3 feet tall. They are rabbit and deer resistant.

I received 2 plants in fall of 2006 from my friend Myra. Gardening friends are great, aren’t they? They are planted in part shade near a French lilac.

I’ve been warned that they may spread rapidly and may be hard to keep under control.
.
According to Sonoma County Master Gardeners, “They spread by underground runners and eventually make large clumps that can be divided and transplanted for more plantings.”

In the second year in my garden, they are still well under control. I would like to see them fill the space a bit more. Only time will tell if I regret this planting.
.

No comments: