Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Coleus Combinations

.
I’ve raved about coleus before. The brilliant colors, variety of sizes, ease of growing and propagation make them one of my favorite annuals. I’ve mentioned coleus at least a dozen times in the last 5 years. Type coleus in the search box at the top of the page if you want more.

Well, here I go again.

I like to combine coleus of similar hues or combine them with similar colored impatiens to make a color splash. Sometimes an opposite color will give it some pop. I sometimes plant 3 or 5 of the same variety in the ground to create a bush-like display.

This year’s display in pots -



and in the ground.




The possibilities are endless. It’s fun to experiment with combinations each year.


Distinguishing variety names of coleus is difficult. Sometimes the same variety has different name at another grower. Even though most varieties do best with some shade, the varieties will look different depending on the amount of sun they get. For help sorting through the varieties see “Coleus Finder” and Rosy Dawn Gardens.

There are a few ways to propagate coleus. Next time I’ll share my method.
.

No comments: