Saturday, September 18, 2010

Happy Combination

,
Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis ternifolia) and Autumn Sun Rudbeckia (‘Rudbeckia nitida 'Herbstsonne')

.
Last fall I moved the Autumn Sun Rudbeckia from next to the garage. I added 3 Sky Pencil Hollies (Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil') to the area because I wanted to introduce some winter interest along the long, gray garage wall. (See October 10, 2009 post “Japanese Holly”.)

I divided in rudbeckia in half. One half went to a friend. I couldn’t decide where to put the other half so I temporarily stuck it in beside the Sweet Autumn Clematis.

It turned out to be a happy combination.

Both plants are tall. The rudbeckia blooms well into fall when sweet autumn blooms. Both plants can be cut to the ground in fall. The yellow and white combination is more outstanding than either one by itself. And, they both seem to like the location.


I think I’ll keep them together.


.
Information from Dave’s Garden Sweet Autumn Clematis
Autumn Sun Rudbeckia. Plant name confusion again - See UBC article.
.

2 comments:

donna said...

I love the yellow/white combination. So pretty.

Thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog. This aging parent thing is not easy, is it?

I've missed visiting you and am going to try and get back here more often.

Take care of yourself. Hugs, donna

Marie said...

Donna,
Thanks, hang in there.