Saturday, August 11, 2007

Canna


I like the look of tall Cannas along our blank garage wall. I’ve tried other plants. The hollyhocks developed rust and leaves turned yellow. Crocosmia is a gorgeous plant but not really tall enough - the same with lupine.

The cannas need to be dug up and stored for the winter (see 10-15-06 post) and then replanted in the spring. They need to be stored in peat moss over the winter in a cool place making sure they don’t freeze. That’s a bit of a chore. I’m willing to do the work - at least until I find a tall perennial to replace them.

Next year I’m going to plant early - about May 1. Even though the last frost date is May 15 in zone 6, it takes about 2 weeks for the sprouts to appear. If we get a late frost, I’ll cover the sprouts overnight. I think I can get away with it since it's a warm, sheltered spot.

There is good canna care information at Old House Gardens http://www.oldhousegardens.com/canMore.asp and some great varieties for sale.

No comments: