Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Snow-on-the-Mountain


What you don’t know may hurt you.

Euphorbia marginata. Many years ago my grandmother gave me a plant and Snow-on-the-Mountain seeds came along. Every year since then, I’ve had them in the garden. It is a lovely memory of my grandmother’s garden. Each summer the white bush-shaped annual creates a striking counterpoint in my garden.

The other day I decided to find out more about them. I started with Dave’s Garden website http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/221/ and found this information:

"Danger: All parts of plant are poisonous if ingested. Handling plant may cause skin irritation or allergic reaction."

Horror stories abound on the internet – from emergency room treatment to neighbors who are less than happy when seedlings pop up in their garden.
For myself, I’m not about to give them up. But, I’m much more careful with the milky sap and I certainly don’t plan to eat any of them.

No comments: